Goals for 2017


Like clockwork, another new year is upon us. I was not incredibly productive in the 365 days or so that made up the year 2016, at least not where modeling is concerned. I finished barely a handful of kits and continue to leave way more incomplete models laying about than I care to admit. Despite the deep-seated disappointment in myself that weighs me down like a sack full of old Monogram kits, I get some consolation in knowing that my efforts (or lack there of) are pretty typical for modelers.
Also typical for this time of year are resolutions.
Ah, the new year...a chance to start over. A clean slate. I'm not much for resolutions, and I don't intend to make any promises that will just continue to drown me in a sea of modeling despair at the end of this year. No, instead I'll aim for a few goals, some long term mission objectives for 2017 and beyond. Here they are, in no particular order:

Breaking Up With 1/72


You gotta hand it to me, I tried to like 1/72. I even fooled myself into believing I liked it and that it was best for me, considering the amount of space I have to display models. I really tried. I completed Hasegawa's F-105B in braille scale. I then moved on to Hasegawa's F-106 and Meng's brand new Delta Dart in the same scale. Never mind the fact that I was planning on completing them in New Jersey Air National Guard colors, both builds stalled and I decided to take on Hasegawa's F-16A. Again, that got caught up in the mire of my own motivational tar pit and I finished off 2016 with three incomplete 1/72 scale kits.
I can't kid myself any longer, and admit that the only thing 1/72 scale has going for it, especially Hasegawa subjects, is that they take up very little space. But by now, I have decided I need solid kits to sink my teeth into. Something with meat on the bones, and that can't be fulfilled by puny little kits of Hasegawa's ilk. I aim to finish the ones I've started and the remaining kits in the stash (Hobby Boss A-7 and Academy F-18, which are better in terms of detail than Hasegawa) but I will be avoiding smaller scale subjects starting this year unless otherwise unavoidable (I'd like to have a go at TANmodel's T-33). Maybe we can just be friends...

A Dedicated Modeling Space


This might be a long shot for 2017 but I'll still take a stab at it. I currently model from the dining room table which is a total drag on motivation. Since the table gets used for such menial things as eating, I am forced to clean up everything and tuck it away every time I model. Of course this means pulling it all out and setting it up to begin every session. This is quality time wasted that could otherwise be used for modeling if I had a dedicated work space in a spare bedroom, basement or garage. It is killing my motivation.
Fortunately, the family is quickly outgrowing the home we live in now and its time to start browsing the internet real estate sites for a more suitable domicile. One that hopefully has a room that no one needs to eat in, or sleep in, or poop in, for me to work in. 

Slow Down


If 2016 taught me anything its that I need to devote what little time I do have to model and maximize its potential to create the best model, not just lots of models. So what if I only have several hours a week to put a kit together? Why rush it? Instead of trying to cram as many steps as I can into a session, its time for me to use that time to complete the step to its fullest rather than accepting mediocrity as an excuse to move on. 
As time has passed, I have come to realize that this page has become more than just a blog about my exploits in styrene. Its about references, dialogue, community building. This blog suffered because I was using ALL of my time to model, and model poorly, rather than finding a medium to do both and do it well. For 2017 I intend to find a balance that will lead to fewer, better models, but also more blogging. 

More Blogging


The end of 2016 saw a boost to this space when I began publishing the articles on AIM-9 Sidewinders. Thanks to the positive reviews, I intend to continue publishing similar articles devoted to different weapons that may be common for modelers. 


The list is not definitive and I'm sure I'll be adding to it as I go. Looking back, 2016 was still a successful year for The Combat Workshop. The Facebook page continues to soar to new heights and this blog is back on the right track. By striving for these few goals, I'm confident that 2017 will only be better for me as a modeler, and you as a reader. Thank you for your continued support, and be sure to stay safe and have a blessed New Year.

Have any goals or resolutions you'd like to share? Feel free to comment below!

Comments

  1. Keep up the good work, you are doing a great job! All the best for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much for more blogging :( Hope everything's going well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

M117 750 lb GP Bomb

The Best Movie Airstrike Scenes