Worst Box Art

They say you only have one chance to make a good first impression. Model kits make their first impressions with their box art. While I've never based my decision to purchase a kit solely on what is essentially the hobby's version of a profile picture, a well done work of art does go a long way to inspire me. 
Here is a short list of box art that I consider some of the worst, and least inspiring. 

Hasegawa Real Thing


Hasegawa has been known to make some pretty attractive box art, but their trend toward using photographs of the real thing are just boring.

Revell's MiG-21PF

Revell's box art is typically OK. This one makes the list, however, because I'm not sure why this Fishbed would have it's air brakes open while in afterburner. 


All of Testor's Box Art

Basically the modeling equivalent of still life, it's just objects arranged in a some what photogenic manner that aren't even marginally better than the WIP photos I produce at my workbench. And what's with that paint brush? As if you could produce a finish like that with a Testor's brush that has bristles as thick as guitar strings...


This AMT Viper

This is more fitting for the cover of an early 90's computer game than scale model box art. It's also a bit of a mess - the proportions are off especially up front and the lettering on the tail is skewed. 


Trumpeter's Flagon-A

This is really just atrocious. Looks like they just copied their final CAD drawing and pasted it to a Windows 98 desktop background...hideous. 


You have any you'd like to add? Comment below or on Facebook!

Comments

  1. One thing I've noticed about WWII aircraft artwork on model box tops is that often one will see cordite streaking over top of the machine gun ports on the main wings of fighters. Well this has become a thing to emulate when painting and weathering a model of which I myself have done as well. However upon examining WWII fighter aircraft photos I have yet to find a photo that shows cordite streaking. Subsequently I have also learned later on that according to pilots the streaking never occurred on their aircraft. So as a result I have stopped placing cordite streaks on the main wings of my WWII fighter models. I blame the artwork on model kits for initiating this myth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also like to point out that some of the best artwork I have seen come from the Hasegawa kits of the 90's. Beautiful stuff.
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=hasegawa+artwork&hl=en-CA&biw=1920&bih=951&site=webhp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMI1ousvb_eyAIVxp2ICh2QZgcw#hl=en-CA&tbm=isch&q=hasegawa++model+kit+artwork

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B

M117 750 lb GP Bomb