What's Ahead? A New Approach

It's a new year and it is already looking up. I have a renewed vigor for blogging and the Sprue Cutters Union is once again on the upswing. Looking back a bit on last year, the stash grew at a healthy rate and now contains a diverse selection ranging from Kinetic, to Hasegawa, to Academy. However, production was not what it could have been. While I completed eight different projects, only three of them were  actual kits, built out of the box from start to finish. The rest were simple vignettes using old parts, or paint-ups for my dad's collection. Quick and easy was the name of the game in 2014 due to the fact that I was starting a new job which seriously cut down my time behind the bench.

So, what does the future look like for 2015? My schedule isn't going to change any time soon so production is likely going to remain at three to four kits this year. This is essentially the same problem every modeler has faced from the time cavemen discovered how to stretch sprue over their fire - the number of kits coming in always outnumbers the number of kits built per year. It is a well known fact, backed by science and defined on Wikipedia.
I, however, intend to tackle this problem with a new approach to my hobby and it may just blow your mind...



The more I thought about it, the less it made sense. Why am I buying all these kits when I can't possibly build them all? As the collection of kits filled up the cabinets around the house, the wife started asking the same question, only with a bit more seriousness. I love buying kits, don't get me wrong, but I can't kid myself that it isn't the biggest waste of income that I willingly subject myself to aside from cable television.
That being said, I came up with a solution - don't buy any more kits.


I know, crazy right? But as the sole provider for a family of five, it is difficult to continue to justify purchasing models that will collect dust for the foreseeable future. At the current rate of build, I have enough kits in the stash to last me about five to six years. Seems like a long time to not purchase a model kit, you say? I agree. However, most of the kits I will want are sure to be available years from now, and more importantly, available for less money. So, I am not worried about missing anything.
Also, if I would not be satisfied with building what I have in my stash, why would I have bought them in the first place, right?
Don't worry, there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Once I've completed whats in the stash I will purchase another three or four to fill it out for the year. There are several benefits to this. First, it'll give me the opportunity to really think about what kit I want to buy and build. It'll prevent impulse buying that I used to be so notorious of, scooping up discount kits at Michael's just because I could. No, now I'll actually have to put some thought into it.
Secondly, it'll help me control my paint inventory. Not knowing exactly what kits I was going to be building next always required that I have a well stocked, and in some cases surplus supply of paints. With my new approach, I'm hoping that knowing what models I will be building will help me control costs in paint. In fact, I've already purchased the exact paints I'll need to finish out my stash - gray, gray, and more gray. Did I mention most of my aircraft are USAF subjects?

This is the plan anyway, carrying it out will be difficult. I know this may come as a complete shock to most modelers, and I may actually be the first modeler in history to actually complete the stash. I won't be surprised if I'm chased out of town with this sort of heretical talk, or derided as lame but every one must approach this hobby in a different manner. We do not all use the same techniques to build, paint and weather, so why should we be bound to rules governing a stash? To be honest, I'm looking forward to it. In 2015 I'm going to tackle as many kits as I can. Its going to be a struggle ignoring eBay deals, and new releases but I hope you'll come along with me as I ditch convention and aim to dwindle the hoard.
Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. Commendable, but necessary decision. I started 2013 with an empty stash and it soon became clear that it was going to grow uncontrollably. I stopped buying altogether. Some exceptions may occur, but let's keep it to a minimum, only on special occasion (like birthday or Xmas) and well thought through.
    BUT : if you think you'll ever clear your stash before buying a new kit, you ARE crazy :-p (feel free to prove me wrong)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this decision for the better part of 2014, and managed to stick to it until the end of November or so. Its a valuable lesson in self-control, if nothing else. Another way to look at it is motivation to finish those kits in the stash, freeing you up to go shopping again. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once wrote for the Sprue Cutters Union that me and the wife (= the wife) imposed a rule onto ourselves: "Buy one, build one" a couple of years back.
    While we have limited space in the house and also we need to watch our expenses usually, this rule has worked great for me. Before i married i had a healthy stash in my mancave but as time went by i built most of them.
    Then the emigration happened and i had to leave whatever i still had. Luckily i had a very good christmas and i must admit i now have about 6 kits waiting for me, meaning i wont be buying anything in the foreseeable future

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you luck and i applaud you Jon, if you can do this you have a fantastic level of self control. I should follow your lead and do the same but temptation is too great at times when you do see the bargain. For me the stash is quite large and has grown by at least 10 kits over 2014 with one completed build, not good numbers, on top of this i also have a very large stash of decal sheets which does keep growing.....I will watch your endeavours and maybe you can be my role model....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Vacation

AMARC A-10: The Fuselage

Stess Free Modeling