AMARC A-10 Build Preview


How to avoid the problem areas of a bad kit...

Not long ago, I went through my stash and weeded out all the bad apples. I wound up purging about seven unwanted kits that were either of two low a quality for me to endure or just too large a scale for me to fit on my shelves. One such kit was Monogram's A-10. Its not a very nice kit which makes it hard for me to believe that some one would actually sell it on eBay for $37. Years before I decided to part with it, I had attempted to assemble it and immediately noticed it was unsatisfactory in terms of fit. It quickly became a shelf queen until more recently when I stripped it of all its useful parts and bid the rest good bye.

Though I finally thought I was rid of this beast for good, it reared its ugly head once more. This time, a friend of mine who has since abandoned the hobby gave it to me along with some other older kits. I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, although I was well aware of the weaknesses inherent in this kit, so I accepted it. But what am I going to do with it? I had no intention of building it yet didn't exactly wish to part with it either. I am a modeler and aside from building models, the thing we do best is horde - so into the stash it went....

The Kit

As you can see, it is a mixture of assembled parts and in some cases they are already painted...


Even the cockpit got a bit of paint from my friend. I do not plan on redoing his work, but rather improving upon it. What I intend on doing with this kit doesn't require a pristine cockpit any way...



The Plan

I have determined not to waste time on kits that serve no purpose other than to use up all of my putty, and consume all of my time with sanding. This one one of the reasons I decided to empty the stash in the first place. So why did I resolve to keep this kit then? Trashing a kit isn't really my MO, so I wanted to find a creative way to build this kit without having to deal with all of its issues.
Several days ago I stumbled upon some photographs of A-10's doomed to their fate at AMARC in Tucson, Arizona. The images inspired me to use this kit, yet not really build much of it at all. Here is what I mean...




Those are the photos that captured my attention and if you can't see the potential here, then you're blind. What better way of dealing with a terrible kit than by sending it to my own personal scale AMARC? Building the A-10 this way will eliminate about ninety percent of the problem areas of this kit - fuselage fit, wing roots, engine nacelles, rescribing lost detail, etc, etc. It is also the perfect project to hone my weathering skills, and use the chipping mediums I purchased not long ago. 
While this may look like a simple project at first glance, it may be more complex as there are going to be a lot of things to address if I'm going to make it resemble what is seen here. For instance, what does the fuselage interior look like? With it opened up at the rear, the guts of the Warthog are exposed so I will need to scrounge for some references. The closest I've come so far is this shell which still doesn't show me the plumbing...


But at least its a frame work to start from. 
The paint work and weathering will be fun, as the A-10 appears to have had the older Euro I scheme which is a tri-color green/light green/gray pattern. Also, considering it appears to have been shielded at one time with spraylat, that white spray-on vinyl coating you see here...


...it means the weathering will not be consistent throughout. 
Standard procedures for storage at AMARC call for the gun to be removed, a fact that is proven true in the middle photograph. This will not be a difficult change to make in the kit. Also, notice in the first photograph that the panel housing the access ladder is removed. Fortunately, the kit will accommodate this detail without much additional work...

My objective here is to get an otherwise unsatisfactory kit off of my shelf without having to go through the rigors of building it while at the same time creating a unique vignette that will showcase some different weathering techniques. My goal is to inspire you all to try new things and take an alternative approach to a disagreeable kit (something of a trend lately).
Contrary to my usual style of blogging, I will be updating this build frequently with WIP shots. Thanks for reading and I hope you'll follow along as I go!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B

M117 750 lb GP Bomb