Time is of the Essence

When do you find the time to model?

Modeling is a hobby, not a full time job. As unfortunate as that is, it also means I have to actually find time to work on a kit given that I have to participate less desirable activities like work to pay the bills and put more kits food on the table. Being married with three children, providing for them usually takes precedence over my menial pass-time. Since I am usually away from home for eight hours a day, I put a premium on the time I get to spend with the wife and kids when I get back. This means there is no time to touch a kit until after they have gone to bed.


Because of this, I don't really have to go hunting for spare time. I know when its coming and I know exactly how much I will have. The rest of the house has usually turned in by about ten o'clock, leaving me to my own devices until I decide to call it a night around twelve thirty in the morning. Though it cuts into my sleep, it gives me a bout two to two and a half hours of solid, uninterrupted quality bench time. Never the less, it would be nice to have time during the day and not have to be gluing plastic all the way up to the brink of bed time. But I can't tell you the last time I modeled when the sun was still up.
Since it is such a tight window I have to work with, I have given myself some rules to follow. I do not have a dedicated workbench so everything I bring out to work on and tools I use must all be put away and tidied up when I am finished. This takes up a certain amount of time depending on what I am doing, like creating ground work for a diorama or airbrushing. As a rule of thumb, if the time it takes to set up and then put away all of my material is more than the amount of time I will actually be modeling, I don't even bother that night. Fortunately, this doesn't happen often.
The second rule is I must have enough time to finish what I intend to do that night. For instance, if the model has reached the painting stage, when it is time to clean up, the model must have reached a specific way point. I need to ensure I have enough time to complete what I've started, whether it is pre-shading, base coating, camouflage, etc, otherwise I will not even begin. There is nothing I hate worse than leaving half an aircraft unpainted.
Despite those caveats, I find that I work well with the time I have. As long as I stay motivated and know exactly what I am going to tackle that night, I can get a lot of things done.
Thanks for reading!

Read Some More!

Part of being in the Union means you must include links to fellow contributors' posts within your own response. If you liked this post, then perhaps you'll enjoy what some other modelers have to say about this topic!

Fill 'n Sand
Miniature and Model Painting
Doogs' Models
Greg's Models
Yet Another Plastic Modeller

How to Join...

Want to join the Sprue Cutters Union? Its simple. If you model and have a blog that is all you need to start. Just write a post in response to the weekly topic, copy the link in the comments section for that week's assignment and you're in! Check out more detail about joining the Sprue Cutters Union

Comments

  1. Mine for the week: http://doogsmodels.com/2014/01/21/making-time-sprue-cutters-union-25/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good read Jon and i know how it is with the set up and pack up as this is what i am currently doing as well. It is hard to juggle all the demands life puts on us. I like your idea of you won't start unless you can finish, i may have to apply that to my own work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is my post
    http://mattblackgodsworld.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/spruecutters-25-time-managment.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

M117 750 lb GP Bomb

The Best Movie Airstrike Scenes