How To Make a Telephone Pole


For my crashed Hind scene, I wanted to add some urban flare, and give it a sense of civilization. A simple way to do that was to create my own telephone pole. It will also give some height to the diorama and give it a more dynamic silhouette.
Any way, here is an easy way to make your own telephone pole! Hope it helps...

First you need something to create the pole itself. For this I used the shaft of an old paint brush -


Then I sanded off all the red paint to reveal the more realistic wood underneath -


Next, something is needed to create the little cross beam that hold the wires. So I grabbed a tongue depressor but any wood of similar thickness would suffice. Cut a small piece out -



That should do.
Then I was wondering how to replicate the insulators that sit on top of the telephone pole. Luckily, I had a bag full of tiny electronic parts, like circuit boards and wires taken from an old digital camera -



The resistors found on a circuit board make perfect insulators -


Just trim the leads down.
Next I glued them to the wooden piece which was then attached to the pole -


Using some plastic card, I made the small diagonal braces supporting the cross beam -


And that is as simple as it gets. Now that it is together, I just need to paint and weather it, then attach some wires and it is complete. I think it is convincing enough to represent a utility pole carrying any overhead power lines you may need for your diorama. And it sticks easily into the base -


Please, let me know what you think! Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Great job for a simple realistic telephone pole .

      Delete
  2. Hi Jon,
    This was sent to me and i thought you and maybe some of the other military guys would like???
    http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/10/world-war-ii-after-the-war/100180/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude. Go buy some Friggn Wood dowels and Guitar string and whip those up. Forget the Glue u can't see, make the Pole Brother...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

M117 750 lb GP Bomb

The Best Movie Airstrike Scenes