Santa Was Good to the Combat Workshop

Welcome Some New Arrivals to the Stash!

Christmas has come and gone, and now the next big milestone is the New Year and we can start focusing on projects of 2014. But first, what kind of modeler would I be if I did not at least mention what new kits were added to the stash this past holiday season? Modelers can't resist showing off their latest acquisitions, and the rest of us just can't look away. Some how its a mutually beneficial relationship. 

Any way, the 25th of December brought about some new additions that should make for a fabulous 2014. Check it out...
My parents played the role of primary supplier this year, purchasing two kits to fuel my plastic addiction. The first one is a 1/72 F/A-18D boxed by Academy. I am an Academy fan, given that I have built two of their quality F-16 kits in recent days so I was excited to see this revealed under all the wrapping paper. While it isn't a Viper of which I am so fond, the Hornet is, in my humble opinion, the best looking modern US fighter ever made. No complaints here!


After posting the contents of my meager stash for all to see, I am sure you all recognized that there is a distinct lack of armor represented on my shelves. That discrepancy changed slightly after yesterday with the addition of Trumpeter's 1/72 Merkava...


While it is an interesting choice, it is one of the more unique tanks on the battlefield today and considering it will now join my Revell Leopard II as the only armor kits in the stash, it is a welcome addition indeed!

Lastly, though not model related, I received an item of great intrigue from my sister and her husband that I thought I would share. Please, gaze upon this with wonder...


Yes, it is what you think it is. Star Wars. World War II. Put them together and its the perfect formula for an outstanding Christmas gift. Every one needs a picture like this on their wall. Now, if I can just convince the wife to let me hang it in the living room....

And while receiving gifts is always nice, on Christmas it is better to give. My dad is also a modeler, after all, he taught me the ropes when I was just a kid. His motivation for picking what kit to build is influenced heavily by his personal experience with the subject. A few weeks ago, he told me he would love to build a model F27 one day. When I questioned him, he informed me that when he was a child, the Fokker F27 was the second aircraft he had ever flown in. So, I thought that would make a great gift for him and fortunately they have a couple of kits on the market. I went with the Airfix...


Once he builds this, I will paint it for him, as per our usual arrangement and it will sit beautifully next to the model of the first aircraft he had ever flown in - the DC-3. I hope he enjoys it.

The Future is Bright!

This year is quickly making way for 2014 and I'm already planning what is ahead for the Combat Workshop. Getting new kits for the stockpile is never a bad thing, especially when they are not twenty year old models and their manufacturer's name doesn't start with R and end in evell. These two models make for a good start to the new year and promise some great projects to come! I hope you'll all stick around to see what's going on here, and as always, I thank you for your continued support and readership!

Happy Holidays!

Comments

  1. You must have been a good boy! I got a Dreadball game (sci Fi football), a 1/48 Gloster Gladiator, 1/100 Soviet BA10 armored car (for my 15mm stuff) and some 28mm Zulu War British which will get the steampunk treatment. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I made out alright. Also got the standard allotment of cash so there will be more to come, indirectly. Looks like you made out pretty well too!

      Delete
  2. Under a personal agreement to all involved I didn't acquire any kits this season. a airbrush is a bigger need as I dont won't to continue with brushes as a main painting method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Understandable! Securing a nice airbrush should be first priority!

      Delete
  3. Good pickups Jon, that picture is quite interesting and for you guys it would make an excellent diorama if you could get the scales to work.
    Enjoy spending your cash as well, I shall have to get a post up of my score.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

M117 750 lb GP Bomb

The Best Movie Airstrike Scenes