Revell 1/48 Mi-24D Hind - Build Preview


Kicking Off the New Year With a Crocodile!

My local hobby shop is about a forty minute drive from my house. While the term local may be a bit of a stretch, it is certainly well worth the drive when I can make it out there. They have a wide selection of kits that I could literally spend hours looking through, trying to decide which will be the lucky one to come home with me. However, trips to AAA Hobbies are few and far between, so I supplement my addiction with trips to a more travel-friendly location - Michael's Arts and Crafts.
While not the best store to go model hunting, it does actually have models, which is more than I can say for stores like Target and Walmart. Moreover, they are affordable especially when coupled with a forty percent off coupon that comes in the mail once a week. This is why, if you've ever seen my stash, you'll understand why I have so many blasted Revell boxes.
Any way, several years ago I purchased Revell's 1/48 Mi-24 Hind with said coupon and it has been waiting patiently in my stockpile since then. What its been waiting for, I'm not sure. I also can't tell you why I purchased it in the first place - its ugly, and big. Never the less, apparently the right time has cropped up and its found its fugly lookin' mug on my workbench. It now has the honorable distinction of being the first build of 2014...

Background


Introduced by the Soviet Union in 1972, the Mi-24 is a large helicopter gunship manufactured by Mil Moscow Helicopter Plant. Since it's first flight in September 1969, it has seen service in the military of over thirty nations. It owes it's popularity, in part, due to its versatility as an attack helicopter and transport. Capable of ferrying eight passengers, the Mi-24D can transport battle ready troops to the enemy, or slug it out in the air with its impressive array of armament. As a gunship, the D variant wields a 12.7 mm four barrel Yak-B gun in a chin turret, and can loose a frightening barrage of rockets, and anti-tank missiles at ground targets.
Such a lethal combination of capabilities has no direct counterpart in the NATO arsenal. It's ability to both transport troops to and from the battlefield while also remaining a heavily armed and armored attack helicopter is basically unrivaled. This characteristic was exploited with fair success in such conflicts as the Soviet War in Afghanistan. While losing a number of Hind's in that protracted war to environmental strains and combat action, it's ruggedness was hard to ignore, and the Crocodile remains one of the most prominent attack helicopters in the sky today.

More on the Mi-24 Hind

 

The Kit

Interesting to note that the markings on the box are incorrect. The insignia on the fuselage
is for East Germany however the text on the tail section is Polish.


 As mentioned, this is the ubiquitous Revell kit that can be found for around twenty dollars in the nearest arts and crafts store. While it is an older kit, I don't think I will run into very much trouble with it. But let's take a look inside...


The first sprue contains the fuselage halves. While not the most impressive, its size is not to be balked at. Its a large helicopter and I hope I have the room to display it when all is said and done...


You can see its quite big, and that is without the rotor blades. Never the less, this little fit test proved positive as I did not see any glaring indication of trouble to come. However, in examining the sprues further, one thing irritates me - some of the tree's attach points are extremely large and, if not cut correctly, will create some nasty gaps to clean up...


If this were a newer kit, I would be more upset, but given the territory its just something I have learned to accept. 
The detail is not bad, and while the panel lines are raised, their is detail in areas like the wheel wells that can be augmented with some scratch building if you so wish. Of course, the side door can also be displayed open, however, you will find there is no option, that doesn't require some work, to allow you to model it closed...


The second sprue features the cockpit, turbines, rotor assembly, pilots and other assorted bits and pieces...


The pilot and gunner are nicely molded, considering, but their poses are quite static and not very life-like. Both figures share the same exact position, thereby making them useless, in my opinion. However, having the option for two different heads is a slight consolation...


Their office is nice, but basic. Looking inside the cockpit of a real Mi-24 and you will see it is very crowded with switches, dials, and avionics. Revell's cockpit is barren. If you're into scratch building, this is at least a good foundation for you to start with. Another note, the seats appear to be too wide but I am not one to be a stickler for millimeters. However, I am never a fan of molded on straps. Even if I were to use the figures, they would be seated over the harnesses which makes little sense...


Sprue number three contains such items as the wings and pylons, interior details and missiles...


The forth sprue has the rotor blades, tail roter, instrument panel and some fiddly bits...


This IP isn't bad, having raised detail that will accommodate painting though the kit also comes with a decal. The decal is, however, dark gray therefore if you intend to make your interior that rather attractive teal so common of Soviet era aircraft, you will not be able to use it...


The final sprue is clear and holds, what else, the clear parts. The cabin's side walls are clear to make it easier to fit the small windows in place...



Decals and Markings


The kit comes with one small sheet of markings for two separate aircraft - an East German Hind from Cottbus Air Base, circa 1985 and a Polish Air Force version of an unspecified unit. 

Instructions


These are your typical Revell instructions. Every thing is laid out plain and simple with the part description and color requirement. Pretty standard here.

Conclusion

While it may not be the best Hind on the market, my initial reaction is positive. But since I am a firm believer in "options", I am slightly disappointed that there is no option to either close the cabin door or position the landing gear retracted. But I will get over it I am sure. At this point, all I ask for is decent fit and a fun build. 

Questions for this build

How long will this take?
I am one to build as much as I can at once, then paint it. With the cockpit and cabin interior to paint, it throws a stick in the spokes of my usual process. This may stall my momentum.

Should I wreck it?
One of the most iconic images of the by-gone Soviet era is a decrepit Mi-24, or really, any abandoned piece of military hardware for that matter. I have been toying with the idea of making this one crashed, or abandoned but I haven't made the ultimate decision just yet.

Will I have space to display it?
I didn't realize how large this chopper was. Considering I had a hard time squeezing a 1/32 Oscar in my display case, I am sure this will be just as tight. It will also depend on how I choose to finish it - a wreck that is missing some rotor blades will certainly take up less real estate.

Inspiration

Weathering is going to be the name of the game here. Whether the Hind will be completely abandoned or not remains to be seen, but I intend to make it a well-used work horse regardless of its final setting. Here is one picture I found that certainly has me intrigued...


Hope you will follow along! I'll kick off the build soon so be sure to follow along on Facebook orTwitter!
Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. Great review and that often forgotten debate, how do i display it when done....It is a hard one. Seeing this always reminds me of the bad guys in the movies using one of these as their own toy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could always do something like this with it...

    http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1359199732/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Worst Box Art

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B