Go Big or Go Home, Right?

For all you super detail freaks out there...

Would I be willing to focus all of my resources, time and attention on one tremendous project? 

We've all seen the large scale cut-away models displaying all the inner workings, rivets, conduits and controls of a World War II aircraft, or spent long moments pouring over a huge diorama containing grandiose buildings in ruin, many vehicles, and countless figures engaged in mortal combat. I can't help but marvel at these pieces, in terms of their ingenious engineering but also their finely tuned details. While they are most often impressive, they always leave me wondering whether I would ever attempt a project of such incredible magnitude.



Dan Jayne's F-18 comes to mind
There was a time when I would have said yes. I would have loved to commandeer an old dining room table and built a scene from Stalingrad or Normandy, filling the spaces with rubble and action, suspense and drama. These days, though, my idea of what I'd actually like to accomplish in my modeling career has changed. I don't dream big any more.

Not that I've lost my fascination with such projects, but there is just too much other stuff I want to do. This hobby is quite diverse, and if you've been following this blog long enough you'll know I like to build just about anything that comes in a kit. When I consider working on only one project for an extended period of time I can't help but wonder how much more I could accomplish in that same amount of time. Why build one diorama when I could build several? Why focus on only one aircraft when there are so many out there I would like to build? The same can be said for armor.
Completing one model per month can get monotonous enough as it is. When I try to consider working on one project over the span of several months to a year, well, I fear I would lose interest. Fluidity is my friend, not being bound to one subject is my ally. I bounce from genre to genre, idea to idea, which keeps me motivated.

I can't rule out such an expansive build all together though. We all know that our tastes can change quickly in this hobby, but from where I sit now, some great diorama or super detailed model is not in my future even if I did have the time and resources. The idea of spending all that time and energy on one single project just doesn't appeal to me at the moment as there is just too much already on my list of things to do. I'll leave the monstrous projects to the truly ambitious. As for me, I'll continue as I usually do...one small project at a time.

Thanks for reading!

______________________________________________________

Part of being in the Union means you must include links to fellow contributors' posts within your own response. If you liked this post, then perhaps you'll enjoy what some other modelers have to say about this topic!

_____________________________________________________

Want to join the Sprue Cutters Union? Its simple. If you model and have a blog that is all you need to start. Just write a post in response to the weekly topic, copy the link in the comments section for that week's assignment and you're in! Check out more detail about joining the Sprue Cutters Union. 









Comments

  1. I like your thinking Job, it us nice to get many subjects done. I think the ideal large project would only take up a couple of months because as you say the interest could dwindle after too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. Every build needs drive, and if that drive dwindles, less chance of completing mr.Build. For me, the more I think about a build rather than spending that time building it, the more frustrated I get and end up shelving the project. And you're right, there is so much to do (life and such), and with the model industry being at the height it currently is at, so many great builds are a waiting!

    pL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

M117 750 lb GP Bomb

The Best Movie Airstrike Scenes