Star Wars Judgement Day - Part II


Painting:
After construction, naturally its time to paint. I gathered up my airbrush and Tamiya acrylics and I set out to work. I'd never painted an urban environment filled with so much debris with an airbrush before, so I was curious how I was going to pull it off. Over spray was expected, and did occur, but was easily corrected and blended into the scene.
I started as I normally would for an aircraft or vehicle, flat black...


Then, the upper surfaces get treated with white to create some highlights and shadows...


A thin layer of neutral gray creates the mid tone base...


Then some hull red gets sprayed over the metal parts and bricks...


I masked several elements with salt and sprayed a lighter brown over the hull red. Once the salt was removed, I have some worn looking metal...




I used a paint brush to blend in all the over spray...


Finally, some washes of burnt umber sinks nicely into the recesses, especially in the cork. Then some chalk pigments create a bright rusted look. I wanted some color in this base, and the orange really makes it pop...



Here are the glamour photos of the finished base. I'm extremely happy with it...



Next up, the small water feature. Should be fun!
Thanks for reading!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Vacation

AMARC A-10: The Fuselage

Stess Free Modeling