Star Wars Judgement Day - Part I


Intro:
Its time for another jar lid project before I finally figure out how to make a base for the PT Boat that has been waiting patiently for my return. A friend of mine was heavily into the Star Wars miniature games a while back and still owns a vast collection of the little figures. Not long ago, he mentioned that he doesn't play the game any more and his game pieces sit neglected in a case and offered me some to use in my models if I wished.
I wished.
One that stood out to me was the Super Battle Droid. Though I am not a fan of the Star Wars prequels, the look of the battle droid was inspiring. He is positioned with his arm raised, firing his forearm mounted lasers. These are tiny little figures and quite fitting for a jar lid base. Rather than create some sort of Star Wars inspired world, again I took elements that we are familiar with and created a scene that is reminiscent of The Terminator. Hence, Star Wars Judgement Day.

Construction:
I gathered up a bunch of household material and started making the base. Whenever I make a base from a jar lid, I like to pack as much stuff on it as possible, overhanging in areas and creating some height in other places.
Of course, the most important aspect is choosing the correct lid. In this case, the top of a jar of Skippy peanut butter will do just fine!
Have a look at what else I used...

1. Cork. I just discovered cork quite recently as being an effective material to use as stone or concrete. It cuts and breaks apart easily, allowing the creation of rubble without much difficulty. And in this case, creates several decent sized slabs of cement.

2. Corrugated cardboard. This is readily available as long as you have a cardboard box handy. Just rip off the top sheet and you get the appearance of corrugated steal or tin as long as you paint it right.

3. This isn't really a household item. Its a plastic girder meant more for a model train set up but works perfectly with most scales of military subjects and fits nicely here especially when its all bent out of shape.


4. Screen mesh. You could use screen from a window to create the look of chain link fencing.

5. Again, not necessarily household item but they are easily made with the right materials. In this case, these are 1/35 scale bricks from some aftermarket diorama company who's name I've since forgotten.

6. This is the shaft of a pen. All the innards are removed and it will look like a pipe or conduit of some kind when painted.

7. A drinking straw.


8. Foam weather seal. This is a flexible piece of white foam that I removed from the lid of a large piece of tupperware meant to store dog food. When cut up it can make large bricks or in this case, a concrete support.

9. Camera battery and wire. I had an old digital camera that I never use any more so I took it apart to see what it would yield. The battery had an industrial look to it, and the wires simply compliment the scene.


10. Soda can. I cut a section of aluminum from a Pepsi can and bent it all up to represent some sheet metal.

11. Wire. To recreate the bolts in the sheet metal, I cut several small lengths of wire still containing the insulation and super glued them to the aluminium. Looks pretty good.


So that is it. A pretty cheap base, but once its painted it will look the part. Stay tuned for more!
Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B

M117 750 lb GP Bomb