Imperial Walker Wreck WIP - Part VI


Ground Work

Upon initially starting this project, I had a hard time deciding what base work I wanted for this particular scene. Naturally, snow seems to be the best fit, mostly because the only environment we've ever seen the AT-AT operate in was the ice planet of Hoth. So, its a good fit.
For the snow, I used celluclay colored white with acrylic craft paint. Chunks of snow were made using bits of broken dry wall stuck directly into the celluclay base. While this looked pretty convincing at first, the next day after it all settled and dried, I had second thoughts...



It just didn't look right. The terrain was featureless and rather dull. The snow didn't look quite right, having lost some of its luster during the drying process. Something had to change.

I abandoned the norm, and set out to do something different, and something I should have done from the start. I needed to add some interest to a scene that only featured a broken Imperial Walker, no figures or equipment, and no story other than what was being implied.
So, I stripped off most of the snow and began again. This time, I built up some areas using florist foam (oasis foam) and coated that in celluclay (my ground work base of choice). I recommend sealing the foam with white glue to keep it from being too absorbent and to help the celluclay adhere better. 
Some tree bark, more bits of dry wall, and kitty litter replicate large rocks and other stones...





 When painted up, it looks really great. The first coat is just dark grey. Really makes the bark look like rock, eh?



Then painting the rest of the base was completed...




The borders were surrounded by a barrier made out of a kneaded eraser. Also useful for masking camouflage schemes...


And this was filled with Woodland Scenics' Realistic Water that was tinted with blue...


Looking much better than the snow I think!


Some lichen was added to create some vegetation. This looks pretty good at smaller scales but I wouldn't use this on something as large as 1/35...


Dried Caspia is my go-to item to make trees, especially useful at this scale. No alterations are necessary...


The Walker was placed in the water and I built up some detail around it, including some tangled vines made from grass roots. The moss, which is a rather hideous color at the moment, is made from packing foam that was stuck on with super glue. When the super glue is set, rip off the excess foam and it will leave a fluffy residue that just needs to be painted...


That is it for now. It is reaching the home stretch with only a few minor details to complete to blend it all together. The next post should be a completed work!
Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worst Box Art

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B