AMT Imperial Walker Wreck WIP - Part V


When last we met, the AT-AT was ready for some serious rust treatment. I swear, every time I do rust on a vehicle, I always do it differently. Though I utilized a different method on the Imperial Walker than what I've done before, I wouldn't recommend it as it turned out to be more wasted time than a useful approach.

Any how, to start the process, as always the model is given a flat coat of black, followed by white highlights in the different panel surfaces...




On top of this was sprayed a thin coat of Tamiya acrylic Hull Red to give a nice rust colored base coat...


Once this is done, I gave it a heavy wash with burnt umber artist oils and while it was still wet, applied different shades of chalk pigments. Dark brown pigments toward the bottom of the panels...


A lighter brown for the middle surfaces...


And a rust orange shade for the top...


Blend them all together...


For the final look...


Now then, this is where I went wrong to some degree. I should have sealed the chalks down better, but I assumed they would be alright, bound to the model with the oil wash. Instead, I left it as is and applied the Walther's liquid mask over the top of it. I opted for this method because it offers a bit more control than salt, and it is also faster to apply over such a large area...


Then sprayed two coats of gray. One dark gray base coat, thinned enough to be able to see the rust hull color beneath it in some areas. Then, a lighter gray was sprayed around the edges of the panels to help bring out the detail, something necessary for a vehicle as chipped as this...



The problem I encountered, and why I should have sealed the pigments better, was that when I removed the liquid mask, some of the pigments came off with it. It doesn't look bad, but not as dynamic as it could have been...



One benefit of the liquid mask is that it allows me to replicate pealing paint if I leave some of the residue on the model.
This is the final look...



The turret also got some rust treatment...


The next step will be a wash and smaller detail painting. With so much chipping, things can get lost in all the confusion of color and texture.
Then it will be on to creating a snowy wonderland!
Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. I,m loving this dio Jon. It also helps that I am a huge star wars fan as well I suppose. Can't wait to see this finished, I'm sure it will be fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Craig! I'm a huge Star Wars fan myself (could you tell with all the work I've done?) Hoping it finishes nicely.

      Delete
  2. Great work and love the pealing paint! The colour of the rusting hulk will be a nice contrast next to the snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AJay! Using that liquid mask for the pealing paint is perfect, even at this scale. Still experimenting with snow but hope to start it tonight!

      Delete
  3. I really like this project. I have the exact same model in the attic, with a dull grey paintjob. If you don't mind the blatant stealing of idea's, I may one day give something similar a try for my first dio. Don't know in how many years that'll be though ...
    I too have discovered the nice pealing effect after using liquid mask. Unfortunately, it wasn't the effect I was after, rather wanted a sharp-edged camouflage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't consider it stealing, I call it inspiration! Do whatever you want with it! I have yet to use the liquid mask for sharp edged camouflage. I'll give that a go soon enough though, but I do use it for canopies.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Worst Box Art

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B