Sprue Cutters Union #5: My Philosophy

This week's Sprue Cutters Union challenge is to examine my modeling philosophy and share it with the rest of the group. Discussion about personal beliefs, even in regards to a hobby as simple as ours, can get pretty lengthy and deep. So as not to bore you, or receive a bunch of TL;DR comments, I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

First of all, let me make it perfectly clear that, like other philosophies I hold true, these beliefs are purely my own and I don't intend on swaying you one way or another. Each person clings to a set of ideas and rules about modeling, and rightfully so. Where I think some people go wrong is when they try to force their standards on other modelers. Remember, all modelers are different and are ingrained with their own set of talents, interests, desire, and level of motivation. What I, or any one else has to tell you, may not work for you. Its up to you to figure it out.

Several approaches to modeling philosophy that I have read from others mention the Keep it Simple, Stupid methodology. While I do like to keep things less complicated, I'd say my motto is more along the lines of Keep it Different. A lot of people model themselves into a niche that they are comfortable with, not leaving to try something else. Again, there is nothing wrong with this, your passion is your passion.
But you'll notice that I jump around from genre to genre, covering anything from Armor to Science Fiction subjects. The hobby world is vast and expansive, so I don't find it useful or educational to limit myself to one topic. I've even taken quite an interest in the Wargaming community.

There is much to be learned out there, and I intend to discover it!

One of the more hot topic issues in the modeling community is a completed model's accuracy. Truth be told, accuracy can't be argued against, especially when there are plentiful references. We've all seen the forum posts where an otherwise nicely built model is harshly criticized because, for instance, that variant didn't have a tail light for the era its representing...This is all obvious. There is no reason 100% accuracy should be ignored!
Right?


Please! Ain't nobody got time for that! Well, I don't any way. To those with the time, the patience, and the money to pursue the greatest extent of exactness possible, I applaud you. However, my main concern is reproducing realism through the finish, not necessarily through the construction of the model. Do I like to scratch build in certain areas, like cockpits? Yes, indeed! But do I find it necessary? No, I don't.
I would rather tell a story with the model through painting and weathering and composition than to worry about the correct number of rivets, or the precise RLM shade. A model is simply a representation of something. It isn't reality...

Furthermore, I don't have to be happy with someone else's creation, only my own. What they do with their model is up to them. I will always be glad to offer constructive criticism, and will take such feedback in stride. What I don't have time for are people who wish to create their vision for my model through me. Wayne Gretzky was a great hockey player. He could make any one on his team a better player. Would they ever reach his level of greatness? Of course not, but he didn't demand that they do either. This hobby is the same. There are extremely talented individuals out there who can do nothing less than improve the skills of those around them. I am certainly no expert, but if you come to me for help, I will gladly respond. When modelers require that others must meet their standards, that is when the hobby becomes less about artistic expression and more about an inflated sense of self importance. At that point, I will tell them to buy their own kit if they want it a particular way.

If you take anything away from this post that is running entirely too long, take this:

Success is "the peace of mind attained only through the self satisfaction in knowing you did the best you're capable of."

Wise words from John Wooden.
The hobby is for my enjoyment. It is my pass time. I don't let the ideology of someone else ruin my fun. Instead, I do what I can with what I've got, and I am content with it!

Thanks for reading!  Feel free to comment, or tell me I'm an idiot!

______________________________________________________

Part of being in the Union means you must include links to fellow contributors' posts within your own response. If you liked this post, then perhaps you'll enjoy what some other modelers have to say about this topic!

Kermit's Bench - Frogs just want to have fun!
Martin's Scale Models - Martin says Its not life or death!
Havoc Models - Michael likes to Keep it simple, stupid!
Yet Another Plastic Modeller - Jeroen won't be losing any sleep!
David Knight's Weblog - David says make each model better than your last!
Mattblackgod's World - Danny says anything goes!
Eternal Wargamer - Frank is a rebel!
Scale Model Workbench - Craig is all about whatever makes him happy!


_____________________________________________________

Want to join the Sprue Cutters Union? Its simple. If you model and have a blog that is all you need to start. Just write a post in response to the weekly topic, copy the link in the comments section for that week's assignment and you're in! Check out more detail about joining the Sprue Cutters Union.






Comments

  1. Here is my entry
    http://dknights.wordpress.com/2013/08/21/sprue-cutters-union-5/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jon. Relax, you're not an idiot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frank, I was starting to worry...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Vacation

AMARC A-10: The Fuselage

Stess Free Modeling