Revell 1/72 PT Boat - Part III


The PT Boat build is really in full swing now and it won't be long before the model is actually complete. That is good news except for the fact that I still haven't decided how to display this piece. Considering its a large boat that would feel most at home in the ocean, it has been difficult for me to figure out how to create so much water for it to look natural in. I've never recreated water over such a large area.

But that is a bridge I'll cross when I get to it.

In the mean time, lets take a look at what I completed last night. It wasn't very much, considering my one year old daughter was competing for attention, for whatever reason, which required putting the PT Boat down to ensure she fell back to sleep. But in between bouts of sleepless fits, I was able to get the red water line painted along the keel.
After masking, a layer of neutral gray was sprayed. Followed by a coat of red that was toned down with that same neutral gray mixed in...



Not bad.
The remainder of work I was able to squeeze in consisted of painting the hand rails atop the deck and the ones around the bow. I painted the rails above deck a light brown to replicate rope line while those fixed to the deck around the bow were painted a dark brown to represent wood.
The instructions called for brown rails, and I thought it broke up the green nicely so that is what I went with. I am no PT Boat expert and its been a task finding one sure answer to all of my questions, especially regarding color. But, I'm not one to be picky, so if it looks good to me, that is good enough. Whether or not you agree is entirely your opinion vs mine.


Tonight's agenda should include more detail painting, like the assorted weapons, tie downs, etc. Hopefully I can squeeze in a wash and dry brushing and perhaps start some more focused weathering.
Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worst Box Art

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B