"Call the Ball" Weekend WIP - Part III


Most normal people go to an optometrist to get their vision examined. Myself? I prefer to test my pair of twenty-nine year old Mk. I Eye Balls by painting extremely small items by hand. This also doubles as a test of patience. This weekend, I'm happy to say that I believe I passed both tests with flying (no pun intended...) colors.

Seeing as how I glued the little AIM-7 Sparrows to the fuselage of the F-14 before actually painting them, some steady hands and a small paint brush were needed to finish them while attached to the model. It isn't something I would do on a larger scale plane, but it made handling them so much simpler in this scale. Here they are...


A bit closer this time...


 You can see, all the other fine details were painted, ie the drop tanks, and landing gear. She is pretty much ready for decals now...


I gave the F-14 a nice coat of Future to provide a glossy base for the decals. I wanted to let the Future set, so I put the model aside for the night and started working on the base. As you know, I like working with jar lids, and this case is no different. A Nutella lid will be utilized for this scene which would only require a little work to pull off...


The top was covered with white matte board and I stuck a piece of clear sprue in the side which will act as the mount for the Tomcat. Then I painted the surface to replicate an aircraft carrier deck, toward the stern, where the aircraft approach...


And here is a sneak peak of what the completed vignette will look like...


I know, I know...there are some issues. First, there are no pilots. Also, the flats are not deployed, not to mention the air brake. So what? I don't care, and neither should you. This is meant to be a clever way of displaying a ridiculously tiny model, I'm not trying to win contests here.
Any how, decaling will be tomorrow evening and then it will be complete! Hope you like it!
Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

M117 750 lb GP Bomb

The Best Movie Airstrike Scenes