Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Revell 1/72 PT Boat - Part I

Welcome to the introduction to the next big project here at the workshop. It is Revell's 1/72 scale PT Boat (as if you couldn't read the title). Its a classic kit that shows its age but hopefully it will finish nicely.

This kit was purchased by my father about four years ago as part of our tag team modeling alliance we have. Our pact ensures that when he buys a kit, he puts it together and I paint it for him. It is a well orchestrated plan that allowed him to return to the hobby without having to spend so much time and money on it purchasing paints and other tool. Its a deal that I appreciate because painting is my favorite part of this hobby, and if it wasn't for his interest in different subjects, I wouldn't have ever thought to work on a PT Boat. So I get a little diversity on my modeling palette as well.
The kit was bought rather cheap from a model show, that if I recall correctly, was in Runnemede, New Jersey. He built it swiftly and has been sitting on my shelf waiting to be finished for several years, much like the B-25. Now is the time to complete it!

The Build:
Despite the deal being that he constructs the kit, I paint it, there are times when my father leaves certain items off the model for me to attach later. This eases transportability as well as painting in some cases. Moving a model from his house to my house with every fiddly bit attached can be dicey if we're not careful. So, he generally completes about 90-95% of it before packing it up and delivering it to me. Its only a 20 minute car ride but I think we all know the hazards of transporting a model across town.

This is how I received it.

Not really the worse for wear but you can see the starboard side gun turret railing has been knocked off and will have to be reattached. Clearly there are other parts not glued on, namely the torpedo tubes, machine guns and other small parts.

Since this was early on in his return to the hobby, his filling and sanding techniques were not the cleanest. Some work will be done to clean up areas around the boat...

Nothing a little file won't fix.
The kit is full of small parts, all molded in plastic. It was dreadfully difficult to cut them from the sprue without running the risk of breaking them, or losing them to the abyss. Moreover, once freed from the sprue, cleaning each little part of the rampant flash and ejector pin holes was tedious. So much so that in some cases I simply replaced the part with brass wire...

After everything was neatly attached and as clean as I could make it, I started the rigging. I didn't have the appropriate size string which arguably would have looked better so I had to use some thin copper wire, which I'm hoping will look fine after painting...

Finally, everything is together and its ready for paint. I've never painted a boat before so this should be interesting. I'm currently deciding if I was to paint it gray or that sea foam green that was also common of PT Boats of the era. I'll be plucking through some references until I decide.
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment