Our Trip to Washington...(or how I learned to stop worrying and love the GPS)


So, it isn't often the wife and I are able to get out of the house for more than just a day. In fact, we haven't taken a vacation, just the two of us, since our honeymoon back in 2006. Three kids will do that to you. So will a fear of driving to locations I am not familiar with. For as long as I've known my beautiful wife, she has always wanted to go to Washington DC to check out the monuments and for an equal amount of time, I have resisted. That trip entails not only driving some where I am not familiar with, but also city driving - both of which are on my list of things I hate to do (the list also includes cleaning the gutters, and stretching sprue). I live a stones throw away from Philadelphia and I've driven in the city a grand total of, you guessed it, zero times. Don't like it.
But with time so grows confidence. So also grows the feeling of intense guilt when the wife says I never take her to these places. So for Valentines Day I promised her a trip to DC this summer to take in the sights and enjoy ourselves. Having secured our children in the safe hands of my in-laws, we set off last weekend to our nation's Capital. And so it was, I placed all my faith in the little Tom-Tom GPS.
With only one hiccup along the way, we arrived no worse for ware and on time none the less. We spent the entire Saturday wondering around the city, taking in all the touristy things, like monuments and museums while half of Sunday was spent at Arlington National Cemetery.
Now, I know you're thinking, what on earth does any of this have to do with modeling? Well, the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum has a nice display of models along with the static aircraft on display. Like this one for instance...


But, if you're into those monument thingies, well, I've got a few of those pics too, like this one...


But come on, you don't really want to see those...
For more looks at my trip to Washington DC, take a look at the photo album I put up on Facebook. I hope you enjoy the few pictures included there. In any event, it just goes to show that models can be found almost any where you go, and a vacation doesn't mean you have to suffer through hobby withdrawal.
Thanks for reading...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Vacation

AMARC A-10: The Fuselage

Stess Free Modeling