Music and Modeling

Modeling is a pretty solitary hobby. The best sessions are always the ones that are quiet and free of interruption, leaving me the opportunity to get work done with few distractions. Given the chance, I will gladly fill that silence with some music, especially for those times during the build that can be such a mental drag, for instance, road wheels on a tank, or putting decals on an aircraft. What do I like to listen to? It depends on what I'm modeling and my mood, but I've broken it down into my top five favorite modeling songs or groups that really get my blood pumping during a long evening.
And here we go....

5. Bullet for my Valentine Scream, Aim, Fire
Bullet for my Valentine is a Welsh metalcore band formed in the late 90's. In 2008, their second album called Scream, Aim, Fire debuted and featured a single with the same title. Its a fast paced adrenaline driven song with an apparent WWI theme. Its a compelling song if you can get over the fact that its metalcore...
Over the top, over the top, right now its killing time!




4. Metallica For Whom the Bell Tolls
Well, I really shouldn't have to say much about Metallica. If I do, you should probably crawl out from under that rock you've been living under for the past 20 years or so. 
Staying within the heavy metal genre, For Whom the Bell Tolls was featured in Metallica's second album, Ride the Lightning, and was apparently inspired by Ernest Hemingway's 1940 novel of the same name. The theme, again, surrounds the horrors of war and alludes specifically to the Spanish Civil War. In my opinion, its the best song Metallica has ever produced and one of my favorite songs of all time. (Its use in the intro to Zombieland was fantastic...)



3. Sabaton Panzer Battalion
Do you see a theme here? Another metal band, this time from Sweden, heads up the number three position. The band's theme is inspired by the events of historical wars. Panzer Battalion debuted as the third track on their second album titled Primo Victoria. It is a song inspired by the advancing armored columns during Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Death in the shape of a Panzer Battalion



2. Kenny Loggins Danger Zone
Obviously, this song comes from the movie Top Gun, which if you haven't seen it, I'd have to ask you what planet are you from? The movie is well within my top 5, and the song is certainly the best product to come from Kenny Loggins (except for his beard...) I remember riding in the car with my father as a kid. We'd throw the old cassette tape sound track in the deck and blast Danger Zone all the way to our destination, stopping only to rewind...


1. Hans Zimmer
A German film composer who's work has been featured on over 100 movies and includes the film scores to Gladiator, Blackhawk Down, and Pirates of the Caribbean. I will listen to Mr. Zimmer on most occasions, as his styles tend to work well with anything. Both soothing, and dramatic, it keeps me focused even on the nights I'm resigned to connecting those pesky indy track links. His score from Drop Zone is one of my favorites...



So, there you have a little insight into my musical tastes...at least while I'm at the workbench. What are your tastes? I would venture they are likely a bit different from mine!
Thanks for reading.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B

M117 750 lb GP Bomb