Revell 1/48 B-25J - Episode II


So its been a little while since I posted an episode for a build log but there is a reason for that. Mainly, I've decided that I'd rather have several episodes for each project containing lots of related content instead of having many smaller episodes posted containing really only bits and pieces of the build. This way, things will hopefully seem to flow a little better, and won't be so disjointed.
From here on out, I'm going to try and finish up each step of the project before posting on the blog. In this case, I've wrapped up painting on the B-25J, therefore, blog post...
Lets take a look.

To begin the process, in the same manner as the F-16 I did earlier this year, I painted the entire model flat black to start the three layer blend. To be honest, the B-25 looks pretty mean in all black, like an aerial assassin...


The next step is the white and this is where I think I made my biggest mistake. I failed to blend the black lines which resulted in a fairly stark contrast once the OD top coat was sprayed over...


Its working out in my favor so far, but for a little while I was worried the lines would be too thick and pronounced. But with the OD laid down and some subtle streaks and fading with some light gray, its starting to blend nicely...



I take it back. My biggest mistake came when I clumsily spilled some of the contents of the color cup on the top side of the starboard wing. This is one of the most disheartening experiences a modeler can have and immediately I think back to when I was a child and one of life's early frustrations (whatever it may have been) would cause me to kick just about every inanimate object in the house that I could find...


However, not to be foiled, I thought about a clever way of fixing it as well as adding some character to the bomber. Instead of stripping the paint and trying to match the OD base coat, I decided to paint the spoiled panel a completely different color. This way, I would fix the spill and make it look as though the B-25 had recently been repaired...


I did the same thing to a panel on the port side wing to kind of even it out a bit...


And voila! The results...



The control surfaces were lightened as well, which also adds some nice contrast. I'm all about contrast! No its time to paint the undercarriage.


Masking. Lots of masking. In this case, just white masking tape but I'll also use the blue painter's tape from time to time. Honestly, the blue tape is probably preferable as it is less tacky so you'll run less risk of pealing your paint...



I cover as much as I can without going over board. I don't like to finish a paint job only to realize I've applied paint to a surface that didn't need it...


I didn't document painting the underside for two reasons. One, its gray and kinda boring, not much to see there. And two, I intend on mounting this to a base meaning the underbelly will not be seen any way, so only a little color modulation was necessary.
I then painted the wing tips white, and masked the ring around the engine cowls so as to paint it yellow. And that did it for principle paint work.

Finally, the weathering. I found this great picture showing a terribly worn B-25 and wanted to give my model a similar treatment...


I didn't want it quite that dirty, but some where in between clean and what you see above. So I darkened some of the panel lines (again) inboard of the engines and created some exhaust stains using the handy airbrush...







The entire model got a coat of Future to gloss it up in preparation for the decals which will go on tonight.
I love it when a plane comes together....
Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. Nice way to recover from a painting accident :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was hoping it would be!

      Delete
  2. Hey, you've become my new teacher mate! Nice to come here and read useful tricks. Thank you.

    regards from Brazil!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! Glad you can get something out of it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B

M117 750 lb GP Bomb