Eastern Front Vignette - Episode I


Do you have a bunch of old models that you built a while back that you aren't sure what to do with? Perhaps they just don't meet your present standards? I have a handful that have been sitting in my shed for several years now. This pile includes a Panther, T-34, some figures, even a P-40. I'll even admit that three of them were donated to feed my son's enthusiasm for aircraft. You should see the state they're in!
Any how, I got the hankering for a quick vignette and I thought what better way to repurpose some old models than to use them here. I grabbed the turret off the old Dragon T-34/76, inspired by the photo above, together with some figures I painted a long time ago and set down to work.

If you've been following me for any length of time, you'll know that I like to use jar lids for bases, and this time was no different. I've even gone as far as collecting jar lids from co-workers who haven't the need for them any more. In this case, a Nutella lid was generously donated to the cause by a friend and co-worker of mine, and it'll do nicely for this scene. Then I cut some of my favorite basing material, oasis foam, and created some elevation...


I recommend painting it, otherwise it will look like your diorama is only good to a certain date. I gathered up some things, like an oil drum from a now defunct diorama, a jerry can, some scale bricks, and some wood to create the base. The wall is made of cork...


This is what it will look like with the figures in place...


I decided to paint the base first, that seems to be my new MO, and I like it. Gives me an idea of where the figures should go before spending time on finishing them. Instead of starting with a black base coat, I started with dark brown, which is more dirty, and earthy colored...


Some highlights were added to vary the paint color...


Then, my favorite thing since sliced bread, liquid mask was applied...


Green was shot over the liquid mask and the layers were blended together with a diluted spray of light gray...






Now all that remains is some dry brushing, fine detail painting, and some washes and the base will be ready for the figures. That is, once the figures are complete!
Thanks for following along...

Comments

  1. I love the idea and what a way to rehash some old stuff. Nice work on yours so far as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Vacation

AMARC A-10: The Fuselage

Stess Free Modeling