Rust in Peace - Episode I


Same truck, yes, different title. I decided to split the project into two different titles - one for the model build, and the next for the creation of the vignette. Hence, the new name for the following episodes. Plus, I think Rust in Peace is a bit more catchy than the last title.
Any how, after discovering that my daughter produces more life-like sculptures in her diaper than I can do after a weeks worth of trying, I thought I better scrap the hard stuff and get back to the fundamentals. With that rabbit trail behind me, it was time to get to work on creating the scene! Its really one of my favorite parts to any project and the right environment can really bring the model to life. Here is hoping, any way...

The first step was to build up the base a little. A cheap plaque from Michael's Arts and Crafts with a small sheet of foam core board glued to the top will do nicely. The foam core gives it just a slight elevation to separate the two areas I'll be detailing here...


Next step was to mix up some celluclay that will serve as the top soil for my base. I just colored it will a little acrylic paint and mixed in some white glue. Then spread it around generously until the base was coated sufficiently...



...Looks delicious...

If you have some Dill Weed in your spice cabinet, it makes for a perfect layer of grass. While the celluclay was still wet, I sprinkled it around and pressed it in. Looks better than I would have imagined when I first thought of it...


I added some rocks using the ubiquitous kitty litter, as well as two large pieces of oak tree bark that will get painted later...


I've changed the layout slightly from when I posted the update to Facebook. This is going to be representing a some what secluded, back portion of a farmer's field, not a junkyard as originally planned. I'll be planting pumpkins soon, but first I needed to create the base work for the pumpkin patch. Using a little more dill weed and some parsley, I created the vegetation that will surround the pumpkins...


And finally, I set the truck in place being sure to sink the wheels in as far as I could. Then I laid some debris around, including a small log...


Looking pretty good, and I'm glad to be back on track here. The ground work will get painted and more vegetation will be added. I'll also be putting up a fence to keep out all those pesky animals that would like to eat the pumpkins.
Hope you're enjoying this.
Thanks for reading!

Comments

  1. Dill weed, who would have thought! It really gives the impression of grass to me. I usually buy bags of railroading stuff but this is something i will have to remind myself when it comes to it. Really excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dill weed, indeed. My wife was going to be rid of it not long ago and I said I might have a better use for it than its place in the trash can. It does look quite like grass and am as equally surprised by this as you. I will add some static grass to compliment it, maybe another layer of dill weed as well. But otherwise, its pretty nice.
      I've got a few different herbs, parsley, marjoram, oregano, to name a few.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Vacation

AMARC A-10: The Fuselage

Stess Free Modeling