Revell 1/48 B-25J - Episode I


Okay, so the next project is under way but before I get into the gritty details of the work in progress, its time for a little background.
When I was a kid, as I assume most other modelers would agree, my father introduced me to this scale modeling hobby that I so love. What started out as a father/son bonding experience in those early years has turned into a life long passion. Though I've since grown older, moved out of the house, got married, spawned three children, and established myself as a somewhat successful human being, we still share a common bond through modeling.
Again, as most modelers would agree, we both went through a lengthy hiatus away from the hobby while we were more involved in careers and family. I had returned to scale modeling with a gusto once I reached college and it wasn't long before I convinced my dad to pick up the Xacto knife again. He agreed but only on the stipulation that I paint the models that he built. Not a hard bargain to agree to considering finishing models is my favorite part of the whole process. So for around 6 years now, we've had a sort of tag team approach to modeling. He builds, I paint, then return them to him. There are occasions where I have to finish some construction elements but for the most part painting and weathering is all I have to worry about.

However, having both my projects to complete as well as trying to finish my father's builds have lead to a bit of a back log of models collecting dust, waiting for my attention. I can't keep up with his speed. But I have resolved myself to put a dent in the mountain. And it all starts with this B-25J from Revell.

Its a classic kit, and certainly not bad considering the bad rap Revellogram kits can have. This model has been sitting on my shelf for the past four years...at least. I started painting a nice olive drab it as soon as he sent it my way but for various reasons, never finished. Here is where it stands before I resume work on it...


Its a bit of a mess. Dust has collected on it, so much so that I'll have to give it a good scrub down before any paint gets sprayed.
Part of the reason I stopped is that when I started finishing this model I attempted what I thought would be a brilliant technique. A wave of the future. Yes, I thought that pre-shading the panel lines with a Sharpie was genius. I was wrong. The ink of the permanent marker eventually bleeds through the acrylic paint, making it look like I drew over the finished product. Whats worse is that a dull coat brings is out even further. Here is the underside, left unpainted with Sharpie lines...


I'll have to figure a way to remove the ink, or seal it so it doesn't come to the surface. Here you can see the Sharpie coming through. Incidentally, you can see the seams that I left uncorrected back then...Something I wouldn't have dreamed of doing these days...


My sloppy approach so many years ago lead to some landing gear corrosion caused by too much plastic cement. I had to correct this with a bit of road to support the nose gear and give it some strength...



Much better now though. However, also neglected back then was to put weight in the nose. Fortunately, this problem was recognized by Revell. Though it would have been more thoughtful for them to have included ballast to install in the those, the kit has a small step ladder that attaches to the aft access ladder and keeps the tail from dragging...


I'll take it. This model certainly won't be perfect when I'm finished. It just suffered from too much naive neglect, and lets be honest, laziness. I just want it to look as nice as possible, and fix what I can before giving it back to my dad. To do that, I'll have to remask the clear parts and redo the paint job I had started back in 2008...


The liquid mask is always effective, but tedious, especially on a B-25 with as many panels as this. Right now, I still have to mask the top turret, waist positions, and tail gunner's window. Once that is complete, its time to start repainting...
Wish me luck, and I hope you'll follow along as I try to restore this model.
Thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

M117 750 lb GP Bomb

The Best Movie Airstrike Scenes