Back to the Drawing Board...


I hope that one of the reasons many of you actually follow this two-cent blog of mine is to learn something. And by learn something, I don't mean a new technique or fancy method of doing something because I don't have that much up my sleeve. What I hope for, is that you learn from my mistakes. Learn from my troubles, because I can assure you, I have many!

I sometimes liken modeling to a sporting event. Okay, I know sitting down for a couple of hours hunched over a workbench is hardly the epitome of athleticism, but I want you to think for a moment about the mindset. The mindset of a team and a modeler may be some what the same (at least in my mind it is, bear with me now). A couple of nights a week, like an athlete, I have to perform to the best of my ability. I approach the workbench with a game plan in mind - whether its finishing the build, applying paint, or working on the diorama - I always have an idea of what to do, how to do it, and what I want it to look like in the end. An athlete strives for a win, to score goals or defend his net, whatever the case maybe. They go into the game with a plan in mind, breaking down the all the possible situations into an avenue for success. If anything in that plan goes awry, they lose. Maybe its not that simple, but I'm making generalities here.

Similarly, when I sit down at the bench I have my vision for success already planned out. Albeit, it may change shape as I go but the framework is already there. But on occasion, something goes wrong. I deviate from the plan. Most often it happens just when everything is looking perfect, when the project couldn't be looking any better. Its then that I say, hey, what if I do this....? Perhaps its over confidence. Its probably just stupidity...Its these good-natured ideas that can set your project back if you're not careful, and its back to the ol' drawing board.
Ever heard that saying "leave well enough alone"? Boy, doesn't that apply beautifully to modeling? I ran into such an example last night, the details of which are insignificant enough to bother you with at the moment (stupid foliage), I'm just out to warn you against the errs of tricking yourself into over thinking your work. If your model looks good, STOP TOUCHING IT. At the very least, take a step back, or take the rest of the night off and come back to it with a fresh perspective before making any additional changes to it.

After making such a flub, I feel quite defeated. Like a hockey player who has lost a game in overtime, the hard work and struggle of the evening has seemed pointless. The night ends and its time for bed. As a coach who then reviews tape of last night's game, so do I review my mistakes and start to form a plan for redemption come the next session. Such thoughts bounce around in my head until the moment I sit down at the bench the following evening. And once again, the cycle continues. The plan is set, corrections are made, and there is another satisfied modeler in the world, at least for a brief moment.

Last night I suffered a loss, but it was a close game. You can bet I'll be sitting at work later today pondering over my next move for tonight, getting anxious, until I can finally get back in the win column. Stay tuned!
Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

M117 750 lb GP Bomb

The Best Movie Airstrike Scenes