TGIF Build - Yak III

So, I had the hankering for a bit of a care-free build again, as I did when I decided to build the JS-II a couple weeks ago. Seemed like a good idea at the time any way. Several days will be devoted to a quick project until the Monday starts the week again, and the regularly scheduled model recommences. Little weekend builds are fun, a nice way to release a little tension by just simply modeling.
The topic of this weekend's build is a little 1/72 Yak III from Heller. Simple kit, not even in a box, few parts and easy instructions. The perfect project for this type of thing...




A little warpage in the wings here...



 Detail is pretty scarce, but since this is only a few days worth of work I wasn't too worried about it. The pit is a gold mine for scratch building if you're into it. Of course, I avoided it this time, but just as well since I noticed no detail can be seen when the canopy is in place...



The fuselage halves were pretty warped toward the aft section. The glue was going to need some reinforcement...


So I wrapped it up in a generous amount of masking tape to keep the bond nice and tight...


Pretty smooth, however, you'll notice the tiny gaps at the roots of the horizontal stabilizers. Obviously, some putty will be necessary...


Wings completely lack locator pins or holes. A discrepancy I'd never seen before. (Those holes you see are for the landing gear)


So keeping the alignment was necessary with tape and some little clamps. Also, note the cockpit is mounted to the wings, not the interior wall of the fuselage halves as is common in most kits...


Some gaps in the wing roots...



...and at the base of the wings on the undercarriage...


Either way, still a nice little model...


Tended to the gaps with some Squadron white putty...




And here it is, ready for paint...



Ah, paint. Here is where I went a bit out of my mind and justified it by calling it an "experiment". I was tired last night and didn't feel like breaking out the airbrush. Let me just say right now, if you're tired while modeling, STOP RIGHT THERE or you might do something you'll regret.
I never brush paint entire models. Ever. But my lack of better judgement got the best of me and I found myself pulling out the brushes before I could stop myself. However, I did discover that thinning Vallejo Acrylics with Future will give you a pretty smooth, even coat with a brush. That was my experiment. Nothing mind blowing, but I hope to God it doesn't convince me to brush paint another model.



At this point, I'm not exactly sure what to do. I'll probably weather it with the airbrush since that is what I know best. Beyond that, it just needs decals and some fine detail paint work. Nice little kit that really needs minimal attention. I'm excited to see it finished...but that will have to wait for the weekend!
To Be Continued...

Thanks for reading!
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B

M117 750 lb GP Bomb