Break Time With Stalin


Some times you just need to take a break, a breather from the project you've been working on and turn your attention to something else. Often times, during a lengthy and somewhat involved build, I get tired of thinking about it so I'll throw something together really quick, then return to the project with a fresh perspective. That is what I'm doing here. I was getting a little too uptight about the Chevy '41 Pickup and decided I needed a small, quick, stupid project that I didn't care about to pass some time and clear my thoughts.

A while back I finished a 1/72 scale JS-II from Italeri. This particular box comes with two kits inside - the standard model kit that you expect, and what they call a fast assembly kit. The standard model built up well, and has since been collecting dust on a shelf of mine. It's companion, the fast assembly kit, was left neglected in the box for some time. After all, it is all of about eight or so parts that would otherwise be a nice simple kit if it wasn't for the fact that the tracks have zero surface detail. So, I had no idea what to do with it and wasn't willing to just trash it. For a long time I thought eventually I would build it as a wreck but never got around to it. Until now. I was in the mood for quick and easy and stupid so this fit the bill nicely. So quick and easy and stupid in fact that I didn't even bother to give this project a fancy title, or episodes for that matter. Its like the red headed stepchild that rarely gets introduced to house guests.

It went together as quickly as I had assumed, and I painted it just as fast...


Didn't opt for markings or anything like that. Quick, mindless build, remember? So, a few washes and some dry brushing to bring out the detail, and BOOM, just how I want it...


Now, this project wasn't going to be that quick, so don't think its finished here. I wanted to put it on a little base, as I do most of my projects so this would give me a nice chance to practice my ground work and foliage. So, I dug through my crap that I use for bases and found a small block of wood left over from when I built my front deck and a piece of styrofoam that I cut to the shape I wanted (disregard the hole, it won't be seen, that is just how the foam came...)...


Now the celluclay. Once that was set, I placed the tank to get an idea of how it would look...


Then some rocks made of kitty litter, and a tree, along with some other veggies...


How did I make that tree? Good question, and that will be the topic of an upcoming tutorial! Hurray! Until then, I'll carry on with this...The base got painted with various shades of artist oils to replicate an earthy color...


Then the tank was set in place and some static grass was glued down...


(Note the detail-less tracks in the picture above...Really limits what you can do with it...)


Normally, I don't like using that mossy lichen stuff, but at 1/72 scale and for a project as silly as this, it isn't a big deal. But for 1/35 or larger it doesn't quite look right...


Then, lets get some tall grass in there, so I used the hairs of a rather large paint brush to pull that off...


And that is where she stands now. You can see I've built up the vegetation around the tank to hide the lack of detail. I am wanting to add some water to the scene, so we'll see how that goes. Otherwise, this is quite fun and a good way to take my mind of other things. Hopefully, when it is complete, it will look like just another tank that time has forgotten in the countryside of Eastern Europe. Hopefully finished pics will be up tomorrow!
Thanks for reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

M117 750 lb GP Bomb

The Best Movie Airstrike Scenes