Ashes to Ashes, Rust to Rust - Episode VIII


Starting to Look Like a Truck...

You know, if I'm not careful, this project will end up dragging on longer than Sweet 16 did. After a much needed break, I'm back at it, and unfortunately, am ready for another one...
Last night's session was one of those times where the hobby feels more like work than an enjoyable pass time. The kit hasn't been horrible, but there has been some questionable fit issues and last night was no exception.
When I set the cab in place, it simply would not sit flush against the front fenders, leaving a sizable gap between the front of the cab and the hood. At first I thought my placement was incorrect, so I pulled it apart to fit and refit it, three times over, and failed to get it to sit correctly. So, I'm stuck with a hood that will look about two sizes too small.
It wasn't until after I had cleaned up that the solution dawned on me. Something I'll address in a later post...

Otherwise, the night wasn't a total waste...


The interior was finished, but its terribly difficult to take a decent picture of it as getting light into that space is not easy. But you can see the seat now. Its gonna need some touching up after all that finagling but that will come later.
The kit provides a truck bed that is molded with wood grain texture. I didn't mind it, so I'm going to use it. I beat it up, not a lot, but enough and put the bed assembly together...



The kit also came with railings for the bed that the instructions call for using on the Custom version but I was planning on using them here. They also have the wood grain molded in but the ejector pin markings were obvious, and correcting them would have ruined the detail, so I'm going to scratch build my own using real wood. Of course, that is also for another post, just filling you in on my intentions!
Beyond that, the rear bumper was attached. The chrome makes it difficult to glue down so I had to scrap some off to expose the plastic underneath. The front engine compartment was also finished up, and now just awaits the corrected hood, front bumper, and some touched up paint. I'm going to leave the grille off as the kit part is inadequate and will look better without it...


That is it for now. Hopefully tonight's session goes better. A couple more construction items to complete and then its time to paint. 
Thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B

M117 750 lb GP Bomb