Ashes to Ashes, Rust to Rust - Episode VII


More Interior Decorating

Civilian vehicles are such a different animal than military vehicles that I'm used to building. The process for assembly and painting is much different. Each little subassembly has to be painted and weathered, for the most part, before final assembly, otherwise access is greatly restricted making it nearly impossible. Unless you are detailing the interior of your tank, armor subjects don't have this problem, and I usually get them all assembled before any paint comes out of the cabinet. Its this more complex dance with the model that can get me a bit irritated at times. Fortunately, this is coming together better than expected, considering this is the first truck I've ever built.
Enough of that rant, lets take a look at what is going on here...

First, the seats. I put some oils on them to give them a faded, weathered look. The tissue paper, though hard and dry, still soaks up the thinned artist oils and feathers out the color, giving it a nice worn look. The pictures below is right after painting, so the colors are still quite vibrant and saturated...


.

This is what the seat looks like after the paint has set over night and some dry brushing was applied. I noticed I forgot to take a picture of the seat back, but you can imagine it looks similar to the one below...


 You can see above that the floor board got a base coat of gray which will be the foundation for the rust and weathering to come next. Speaking of which, the dashboard and pedals got a good treatment of dirtification as well. I started with the base coat, kind of a dark blue that will match the body color...


I was worried the blue was too much and wouldn't look right when weathered. But as I continued, I changed my mind. Next I applied some dry brushing to bring out the highlights, and added some chipping using a much lighter blue shade...


Then came the wash. Seems like a backwards process, but it helped dull the chipping a bit...


Then rust, dirt and grime was added...



I am quite pleased with this look so far, although I swear it looks better in person. Doesn't it always? Any how, the interior should be finished by tonight...cross my fingers. Then I can work on body paint.
Thanks for reading!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

M117 750 lb GP Bomb

The Best Movie Airstrike Scenes