Ashes to Ashes, Rust to Rust - Episode IX


This may slowly become a some what interesting build if I play my cards right. Last night was a good session, and certainly much better than the previous night's. It is about time to start adding little things to the model to give it some character. The interior fairly replicates a run down and forgotten old truck. Time to do the same with the exterior.
First, the flat tires.


Initially, my big plan was to follow this easy step by step tutorial on making a convincing flat tire for your
vehicle. I pulled it off a fellow's site on Facebook and thought it was quite clever, and just what I was looking for.
But you know what they say about the best laid plans...
For as easy as it looked, it was giving me a rough time cutting the tire as cleanly as you see there. I wasn't getting the look I was after.
I was sitting there next to a lit candle when an idea popped into my head. Candle wax!
I decided to make an experiment using candle wax to replicate a flat tire. I chopped off the bottom of three tires. Then, I carefully dunked my little tires into the molten liquid like so many mini donuts and pulled them out. I let the wax harden for just a split second, then pressed them into the surface of my table...



It isn't quite the same look, but it will work for me this time. When the wax hardens, just paint it...



Wheel see how it looks when its all said and done. For now, I'm happy with it and it was an interesting experiment.
On to the body. With the candle lit I decided to use it while I had it. Being careful not to melt the entire model, I held the roof of the cab over the lit flame until the plastic was soft enough that I could press the butt end of a carving knife into it to leave a large impression...



Nice touch, in my opinion. With a sufficiently dented roof, I put a few pock marks in the fenders but didn't photograph them as they are fairly insignificant. Afterward, I turned my attention to the tailgate.
The kit allows for the tailgate to open or close, and I want mine to be open. But to do so, I needed to add a thing or two to make it a bit more realistic. So I took this photo as a reference...


 photo chevytailgate_zps348f9fb6.jpg

I need some chain! So, I made some out of wire by simply twisting it in a spiral. It isn't perfect but it is what your eye expects to see so I think it needs to be there...

 photo tailgate_zps8b567e03.jpg

And the broken chain on the other side of the tailgate...


The lug you see on the side of the tailgate was made with a small piece of insulation removed from a wire strand. 
After that, I drilled out the rear of the headlights and poked a few wires through. Don't know if that is technically accurate, but I liked the look so I'm claiming artistic licence in this case...


And that completed the night's work. I am happy with the direction this is going again. Funny how this hobby works, eh? One minute, you're the dog, the next minute you're the hydrant...
Thanks for reading!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B

M117 750 lb GP Bomb