Ashes to Ashes, Rust to Rust - Episode VI


Finishing the Upholstery

I didn't think that I was going to have three episodes devoted to finishing the seat, but you can never tell with modeling sometimes. I've finished both cushions. Well, finished to the extent that the upholstery is complete, but they remain unpainted, a set that will come later.
To replicate the torn, worn, and rotted fabric look, I used some tissue paper dampened with white glue diluted with water. I never take accurate measurements, but if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say 75% water to 25% Elmer's glue. I just brushed the mixture on so it would adhere to the shape of the seats, being sure to cut away the areas that I wanted exposed. In the morning, the seat back will be dry and rigid, ready to be painted...


The actual seat cushion was given the same treatment, though the level of decay isn't as extreme...



There are tears, rips, and wrinkles but only enough to expose the padding underneath. No springs or frames visible this time. Tissue is very nice for producing a fabric look. I especially like the tiny ridges some brands have that give it a little bit more texture like you see here. Careful though, you don't want any obvious patterns, so make sure you buy a pretty plain box of Kleenex...
And that is it. Tonight, I paint!
Thanks for reading!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

M117 750 lb GP Bomb

The Best Movie Airstrike Scenes