Ashes to Ashes, Rust to Rust - Episode IV


Work continues!
When I last left off, I had shown you how I cut the driver's side door open so as to leave it ajar giving the viewer the ability to see the interior. After much consideration, I finally decided to chop the door off completely. No obstacles means more to see, more to see means more work, but that isn't always a bad thing. I just hope I can pull it off.
The one piece cab is proving to be about as difficult to detail as I feared, but ripping the door off gives me a bit more flexibility to work inside when every thing is assembled...


Easy enough. Now it will be sitting next to the rusty hulk in the finished scene which will add a bit more interest.
The dashboard and steering column came together pretty simply. I opened up the glove compartment, again to add some visual interest as well as to emphasize the context of this being a rather disheveled vehicle. I also added some copper wire to represent some loose wiring behind the dashboard, lending to the broken appearance...




Now for the interior. I've been using different reference photos of actual derelict vehicles for inspiration. This one is a perfect example...


As of right now, I don't expect my interior to be quite that run down, but that could change at any minute. I'm simply using it as a reference, as I believe references are important even for works like this.
I wanted to replicate the damage and rot to the seats as best I could, so I sanded some holes in the seat back...


It looks okay, but I may take more out of it depending on how I feel later on. I added some mesh to represent the wire skeleton inside the cushion, and made some springs out of coiled wire...




I may change this though, as those springs look a little too thick. A couple more things may be necessary to add as well.
That is all I've got for the moment. I'll go deliberate my next move and if I want to make any changes. Until then...happy modeling!

Episode III
Episode II
Episode I

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B

M117 750 lb GP Bomb