Ashes to Ashes, Rust to Rust - Episode II


Glue has met plastic, officially kicking off this build.
I had wanted to sit down and work on it diligently last night, but apparently the day caught up with me and I found myself snoozing on the couch instead of hard at work at the bench. Fortunately, I got a little bit done the night before, but it isn't much of an update. More of a light snack to keep you satisfied for a few hours. So, if your tummy is rumbling for some modeling goodness, maybe this will hold you off until I can get you something of substance...

The instructions begin with the engine. Myself, being fairly organized and rather linear in my thinking decided it was as good a place as any to start. I mean, they wrote the instructions, they would know, right? The engine is made up of a bunch of parts, most of them are quite fiddly, like the coil, and distributor cap, so care is necessary when removing them from their sprues.
Speaking of which, I opted to leave off several pieces, included the aforementioned coil, and distributor, along with the master cylinder and fuel pump. Why? Because, what are junk cars good for if not for pulling spare parts out of? If I'm going to model an old rusty truck, it may as well look the part, right down to the cannibalized bits.

The engine comes together pretty well, with only a little work to clean up the seams, but fit was excellent, and the tiny parts were not as much trouble as I expected, though a generous helping of super glue usually remedies that any way...
Taking a look here, you can see I've installed the starter at the lower left, but left off the distributor cap which would be right next to it toward the right. The hole at lower right is where the fuel pump should be, if I recall correctly...


This side gives you a decent look at the air filter as well as the exhaust manifold, and generator...


And finally, the front. Though I didn't like the thickness of the fan blades, I decided to leave them as it, because you won't get a very good look at them any way once complete. I did remove the fan belt, which was molded on to the assembly. I simply cut it off with sprue cutters and attached each wheel separately. I am pondering draping a scratch built fan belt over one or two of the gears to make it look like it has fallen apart...


And that is where the fun ends. In a model like this, sub assemblies should almost be treated as their own model so I'll be rusting and weathering this shortly, prior to installing it.
Next steps will be the chassis.

I foresee this coming together rather quickly, assuming I can keep from napping in the mean time.
Thanks for following along! Until next time...


Episode I

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B

M117 750 lb GP Bomb