The week is over, and drill weekend is complete, which means I'm back in action and I can rededicate some time to modeling and this blog! My first step, prior to finishing the F-16 will be to complete this tiny, yet speedy project I began a day or so ago.
So, lets take a look at what we have here, shall we?
The Rebel snowspeeder is one of the more iconic vehicles of the Star Wars universe. Given a lengthy, and important role in The Empire Strikes Back solidified it's image into the minds of Star Wars fans exceeded only by the X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and the ubiquitous Millennium Falcon.
After incorporating the airspeeder into military use, the Rebels modified the T-47 for operations on the ice planet Hoth. Heaters and de-icing equipment was added, along with armored plates, better control surfaces, and cockpit outfitted for combat operations. The position originally meant for a cargo manager was now the gunner's seat, who controlled the harpoon as well as the AP/11 dual laser cannons. It was these cannons that were found to be insufficient in bringing down the assaulting Imperial Walkers, and the Rebel gunners were forced to use the tow cables to trip up the Imperial advance. Despite some successes during the Battle of Hoth, the majority of snowspeeders were destroyed or damaged in the fight.
DF.9 Anti-Infantry Battery was one such tool in the Rebel arsenal that fell far short of the task it was up against. Meant for defense against threats from enemy foot soldiers, it was pitifully weak against the armor of the AT-AT's and only stood a rough chance against smaller Scout Walkers.
So, now you have a bit of history, and what I'll be depicting is a scene from the early stages of the Battle of Hoth, as a Rebel snowspeeder zooms past a laser turret to meet the enemy. The snowspeeder is a small Micro Machine that I have had since I was a little boy. Lately, I've had the pleasure of making my former toys a bit more sophisticated, placing them in different scenes in small vignettes.
Here you can see the snowspeeder prior to wash and dry brushing (left) and then after some weathering (right)...
*not sure why Blogger would not display these photos upright as they are saved on my PC correctly. Oh well.*
Any how, it is a small toy so not much else is required.
The laser turret, however, was given some additional detail...
Since I'm satisfied with the main players so far, I started working on the base. I switched lids this time as I felt the peanut butter jar lid was far too large for such a little vignette. Hence, I swapped it out for a lid from a plastic jar of sliced peaches. They were delicious, yes.
I used foam core board to reinforce the ground work and to give it some elevation on the left side where the turret will be stationed. After that, I mixed a little bit of celluclay (and by little bit I mean too much, as I never seem to mix the right amount for the job) with white glue and laid it down...
A little chunk of dry wall here and there adds some rocky texture and varies the otherwise smooth, snowy surface.
So, you can probably see how this will finish up. Tomorrow the celluclay will be dry and I can paint it. White, of course. I hope you're enjoying this. Thanks for reading and as always, feel free to comment!