Model and a Movie


As a member of the military and a military enthusiast (a bit redundant I suppose) I always appreciate a good war movie. Such films aren't as common on the big screen as they used to be so I'm pretty enthusiastic whenever there is a chance to see one.
Yesterday I had the opportunity to check out Zero Dark Thirty. Originally, I didn't intend to see the movie in the theater but my brother-in-law was kind enough to treat me to it. And I must say I wasn't entirely disappointed. Unless you've been living under a rock for the past several months then there really won't be any spoilers - he dies in the end...but you knew that already.

I should confess that I can't qualify this film as a "war movie" as it is more of a drama or historical thriller, if there is such a thing. If you hadn't heard already, the movie is a bit controversial as the undertones make it perfectly clear that America did some terrible things to learn the whereabouts of the most wanted man in the world...but, again, you knew that already.
There are small bouts of action intertwined with lengthy periods of interrogation and thoughtful surveillance and investigative work. This is important, considering most people should know the significant portions of the story. It is these little details that connect the dots of common knowledge, and the movie did, as far as I'm concerned, a good job drawing the lines. The dialogue is good, as is the acting, and the final sequences of the film more than make up for a general lack of gun fire leading up to the conclusion.
The movie should have just about run its course in theaters by now, but take heart, this isn't a film that needs to be enjoyed from the cinema. If you haven't taken it in yet, I would recommend watching it from the comfort of your couch.
Here is the trailer, just in case you have been living under a rock...


Well, Columbia Pictures is not the only company capitalizing off the famous raid from 2011. As also should be well known, Dragon Models Limited produced a kit of the modified Blackhawk used in the raid. What they call "Stealth Helicopter" is likely based on imagination, some intuitive guessing, and images taken of the tail that remained intact after the second helicopter crashed in the compound during the raid and was subsequently destroyed.
Interestingly enough, the movie renditions of this helicopter look pretty much like Dragon's model. Coincidence? I can't posit an explanation other than it wouldn't surprise me if the special effects crew used the 1/144 scale plastic model as the basis for their movie prop.
This was released in May of last year, so this is old news but I couldn't resist the correlation between watching the movie and the model kit. As a matter of fact, the kit includes two of these helicopters in the same scale so you can replicate the raid as you see fit.
Follow the link for more information on Dragon Model's Stealth Helicopter from Operation Geronimo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

M117 750 lb GP Bomb

The Best Movie Airstrike Scenes