Sweet 16 - Episode IX


Let the painting begin!

Ah, I was finally able to sit down and get a brief paint session under my belt. After a hectic year in 2012, with me being away at basic training and technical school, this is the first time I've picked up my Paasche VL in over a year. Ironically enough, the last model I painted with the beloved airbrush was a 1/48 F-16C, also from Academy. So, I've come full circle, but I'm a bit rusty yet.

 
The F-16 doesn't have the flashiest paint scheme, and its fairly easy to accomplish with little masking. I've never been real picky about my colors. If it looks about right, well then, it looks about right. My time in the military so far has shown me that no two vehicles or aircraft weather the same, and no two are necessarily the same color. 
 
I started by painting the whole thing dark gray. I don't pre-shade, I post-shade. The dark gray is followed up by highlighting each panel with white. It looks stark but its far easier than shading each panel line with black, especially on a 1/72 scale fighter. You can see the contrast on the upper surface of the wing.

Once the highlighting is complete, I go back over the area with a thinned coat of the final color. In this case, the underside of the F-16 is light gray. You can see that the contrast now is quite blended. Subtle, but nice. Its a technique I picked up from a fellow blogger at doogsmodels.com


















So, there you have it. I still have a lot more painting to do, but I'm happy with how it is turning out so far. Slow and steady wins the race!
Stay tuned for the next episode!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worst Box Art

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B