Sweet 16 - Episode III


Well, after yesterday's dramatic episode, I'm glad to report that last night's effort was less traumatizing. Makes for a more boring blog entry, but so be it.




Of course, once I fixed the problem of losing parts E18, the intake came together alright. Like I said before, I is incredibly over engineered in my opinion, taking seven pieces to complete the over all assembly. Even so, the fit was decent, and I'll just have several miniscule gaps to fill up.
You can see the nose wheel well has some detail but I will be adding more in the future.





 

 With the intake in place, it was time to close her up. The fuselage is molded in two halves, upper and lower, rather than left and right halves that are typical of World War II aircraft kits. Again, the fit was not troubling and to ensure nothing moved and the glue set correctly, I taped her up tight. Try to get outta that one!




I always seem to forget how truly tiny the F-16 is. With a wing span of only 32 feet, in 1:72 scale its small dimensions are accentuated.
Again, I can't complain about the kit. The wings have plenty of detail and are molded in one piece.







When the F-16 is at rest, it is not uncommon for the flaperons to be canted down. I've hit my head on them enough times to know they are not always left at the horizontal plane.
So, to replicate this I gently scored the recessed lines of the flaperons until they had some play. Bending them down slightly presents the look that I am after...and one that my forehead is intimately familiar with.
 Finally, after that brief modification, the wings were attached. This is one of my favorite moments. The model starts to look more and more like an aircraft, taking on the lines of the beautiful jet fighter.
With the wings attached, I put the tail in place. The horizontal stabilizers have a lot of play in them in real life. Often times they, too, will not be left on the horizontal plane but tilted up slightly. The kit stabs don't have to be glued in place, they have a small nub that fits into a round hole in the aft fuselage, allowing them to articulate if necessary. Since I haven't made up my mind as to their final position, I  will not be gluing them.

So there you have it. A relatively peaceful night. No issues, and a model that is starting to look like a pretty sweet F-16.


Previous Episodes:
Episode II
Episode I
Kit Preview

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

F-5E/F Tiger II's Use of Precision Guided Weapons

Sidewinder Overview Part I: AIM-9B

M117 750 lb GP Bomb