|Don't look at it!|
After giving these two action figures a much needed bath, it was time to turn them into something more realistic and less, you know, action figury...
One of the biggest barriers to realism on an action figure are their fingers. In most cases, the fingers do not articulate, and for good reason. Why should they? They are meant for holding guns, and spears, and a cold beer after a long battle. They don't need to be making peace signs. However, if one needs to make a figure look as life-like as possible, certain things need to be altered.
As the picture shows above, I've taken a sharp blade and separated the index finger from the ring finger. It is a simple process, just a steady hand is needed.
Once I did this, I needed to form his hand and finger to accept his weapon in a more human fashion. I filled a small cup with hot water, and another cup with cold water. Then I dipped is trigger hand into the hot water for about 30 seconds, until it was nice and malleable, making his index finger easier to position. After repositioning his finger I dunked his hand in the cold water, helping to set it in place. I was quite pleased with the final result.
You can see that his weapon fits, and looks better in his hand now that his trigger finger sits snugly where it is suppose to...on the trigger.
I performed similar steps on the left hand, opening it up slightly, because no one walks around with their hands ready to grip large cylindrical objects.
Once the hands were formed to my liking, I moved on to filling seams and joints. It is a harder task than I would like to admit. Tedious and time consuming, and for a time, I thought of abandoning the process altogether. I carried on, with fair results. For this step I first attempted to use White Putty, which was useless for this venture, as it was too soft for such large gaps. I quickly swapped the White Putty for Milliput, which is a two compound putty that when combined solidifies within several hours.
Milliput was easy to shape, and softens slightly when you apply a dash of water to it. I spread the putty around, shaping it as necessary with a tooth pick dipped in warm water. These action figures have many points of articulation, so this was definitely a time consuming project.
You can see that a lot of putty was necessary, just for one joint. Never the less, it turned out quite well, especially given my initial distaste. The same treatment was given to the big Elite Zealot.
I'm glad that figure preparation is complete and we can now move on to bigger and better things, like primer and paint!
Hope you enjoyed this installment of Master of War. Stay tuned for Part III!